The spouse and children of persons admitted to work and reside in Hong Kong may apply for a Dependent Visa. A Dependent Visa is not subject to any conditions of stay and is normally granted for the same period the main visa holder is eligible to remain in Hong Kong. In support of a Dependent Visa, the sponsor, i.e. the main visa holder, may be required to provide proof of his/her financial capacity to support his/her spouse and children.

The Dependent Visa Scheme is essentially a relocation visa for the immediate family members (spouse and unmarried children below 18 years of age) of foreign nationals who hold a valid Hong Kong visa for employment, investment, training or study in Hong Kong or who are permanent residents in Hong Kong.

A separate application needs be filed for each family member and must be sponsored by the principal visa holder.

The dependent’s length of stay in Hong Kong is tied to the sponsor’s length of stay. This means that the Dependent Visa holder can live, work and study in Hong Kong for the period during which the principal visa holder is permitted to stay in Hong Kong.

Should you have any enquires about Entry of Dependants, please feel free to contact us!

  Conditions on Admission of Dependants

  • There is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the dependant and the sponsor

  • There is no criminal record of the dependant

  • The sponsor is able to support the dependant’s living at a standard above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in Hong Kong


  Service Involves

  • Provide visa consultation service regarding to the documents required for the dependant visa application;

  • Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the Dependent Visa applicant and the applicant’s Hong Kong sponsor;

  • Complete all necessary visa application forms required by Immigration Department for the Dependant Visa applicant;

  • Review and organize the collected documents in favor of immigration policy;

  • Suggest alternative documents if the Dependent Visa applicant is not able to get the listed documents;

  • Submit the application to Immigration Department;

  • Reply on the applicant’s behalf to all enquiries and correspondence from Immigration Department;

  • Prepare and draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;

  • Monitor the application process;

  • Keep the applicant and the sponsor updated on the status of the Dependent Visa application;

  • Accept the approval and have the Dependent visa delivered to the applicant;

  • Provide guidance on Hong Kong Identity Card application.

  Documents to be Submitted by the Dependants

  • Completed Dependent Visa Application Form. For a child applicant under the age of 16, the form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian of the child.

  • The dependant’s recent photograph

  • Photocopy of the travel document

  • Photocopy of the identity card

  • Photocopy of proof of the applicant’s relationship with the dependant e.g. marriage certificates, birth certificates, family photographs, family letters, census record book and Privilege Card for Single Child (if applicable).

  Application Procedure

  1. Free consultation regarding the Hong Kong dependant visa application;
  2. Advise the applicant and the sponsor on the alternatives and the likelihood of success;
  3. Prepare a tailor-made document checklist for the application;
  4. Complete immigration forms, drafts and letters;
  5. Review the collected documents to ensure they are correctly presented;
  6. Draft all letters required for submission to Immigration Department;
  7. Ongoing liaison with Immigration Department;
  8. Reply Immigration Department’s enquiries on the applicant’s behalf;
  9. Accept the visa approval and collect the visa label from Immigration Department;
  10. Deliver the visa to the sponsor;
  11. Provide guidance on Hong Kong Identity Card application.
Student visa holders are not allowed to work unless getting a consent from Immigration Department.

  Limit of Stay

  • The length of stay of such dependants will be linked to that of their sponsors upon the approval of the application

  • Dependants are required to leave Hong Kong when the sponsors leave

  • Persons who have legally resided in Hong Kong for 7 years or above may apply for permanent rights of abode


Latest News