Any individual, corporation or legal entity may apply to the Taiwan Intellectual Property Office (TIPO) to register a trademark in Taiwan. Foreign applicants may apply to register a mark in Taiwan if the foreign applicant is from a WTO member country or a jurisdiction that protects trademarks on a reciprocal basis with Taiwan. Those not domiciled or established in Taiwan must appoint a trademark agent in Taiwan to register a mark.
Taiwan Trademark Registration Overview
- Grant of Certificate: Approximately 9 to 15 months
- Validity: Valid for 10 years from the date of registration
- Renewal: Renew for successive periods of 10 years
Taiwan Trademark Registration Procedures
- A trademark applicant must file an application with Taiwan’s Intellectual Property Office (“TIPO”).
- The TIPO renders a decision within six months after it receives all supporting documents.
- If the application is approved, the mark will be published and registered after the applicant pays registration fees within two months upon receiving the approval notice.
- The complete registration process takes around 9-15 months.